Sunday, February 1, 2015

Frame #2 and part of breasthook

Today I wanted to finish up on Frame #2 and start putting the breast hook assemble together. I had a slight incident though. I wet out both surfaces with the epoxy before adding my filler to the mix for final gluing. However when I separated the breast hook frames I forgot to flip the opposing side. Thus I wet out the outer side! Ah if it could… it would.
Anyway I made another small batch of the epoxy and wet out the correct side. Not an easy feat considering I was already sticky wet on the outer side. Just proves the fact that preparation is key. I need to take more precautions in the future to make sure everything is set up and maybe do a dry run before I even mix the epoxy.
I have a few other tidbits to accomplish today on the build. After running a few errands today I will come back and finish cutting wood for a couple more frames hopefully. By then these should at least be in the gel state. I don't think we'll rush into getting any more frames in epoxy tonight (give me a break it's superbowl sunday!).
I may pull the ladder off the donor boat today and start cutting the wood to replace on it. I like the looks of it and think it will be a great addition to the Mimi. Still waiting on the tool to come so I can take the Gimble and housing off the donor.
I feel like I have wasted a lot of time going over the donor boat (last weekend pickup and minor work to prepare for this weekend tear out). It has some good parts on it that will save me some money in the long run but I don’t want to get too caught up in it. Also it takes a bit to warm up the garage for epoxy. This morning it was 50 degrees in the garage and I try to wait till I can get it to at least 60 to 65 before any epoxy can start, and even then ideal temps are supposed to be in the 70’s. I probably should invest in a better heater I suppose.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment