Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Frame 3 begins

Been a little while since I have posted. Finally found supplier for marine ply and white oak.
I thought I had inspected the wood well enough... well not so. Upon cutting out a frame member the whole plank cracked and split in two pieces right down the middle. I therein selected not to use any part of that board. The other boards fared better and made sound cuts. So I have all the pieces for frame 3 and some pieces for frames 1, 2, 4 and 5. Shame that board broke. I would have had enough lumber to cut all frames except transom. But thats the way it goes.
Got the West Systems epoxy 105 resin and the 205 hardner. Also a couple of canisters of the 404 high density filler.
Finally got the garage up to 60 degrees tonight so I thought I would give it a go on the one frame.
Glen-L gives instrustions on how to build a layout board with centerline refernces and setup line. Found that not too dificult to setup. Still some of the cuts I made with the bandsaw originally are a little wobbly on the outter side of the frame. I hope that once it gets to the fairing portion before siding I can get the lines of the sides a bit smoother with the sander. I am certain I cant be the only person facing this delimma.
Even with the 60 degree temp in the garage the epoxy didnt heat up in the cup, nor did it go to a gel very quickly either. I am hoping it will continue to get to the right consistancy for the bonding.
I opted to use screws (stainless) for the gussetts and floor timber. On reading/studying I found general notes that nails werent really for structure holding but more of a clamping mechanism until the epoxy dries. I thought if the epoxy doesnt set right and doesn't ever solidify at least with screws I will be able to dissasemble, sand it down and try again with warmer weather.
Not a bad start, and hey we're learning here.

No comments:

Post a Comment