Sunday, February 8, 2015

Swim Platform with folding ladder

Even if your are a fresh water only boater, I would stick to at least the SS (Stainless Steel). Here is an example of what could happen. The donor boat I bought had a really great swim platform ladder on the back of it. I think it came pretty standard on all the Somerset boats as I have seen quite a few for sale and all seem to have this great feature.
 
 
 

I liked it so much I want to reapply it to my build boat. New models of this same ladder run about $150. All the hardware is in pretty good shape and very sturdy despite having the steps dry rot.
In doing the tear down I noticed the manufacturer stainless screws come right out and look almost like new; not bad considering the boat is a 1982 model.
However, the nuts and bolts anchoring it to the boat are not stainless. May have been galvanized of some sort but are completely rusted out. Easy enough to remove as when you go to remove the nut, if you jerk it hard enough quickly the bolt will shear off. I think I will invest in some better fasteners since this part of the boat will always be in or nearest the water.
 


The plan is to replace all the wood. I will use the current wood for templates and cut each new piece, fair the edges like the current one, and reassemble with a better set of fasteners. All the aluminum will get polished and a good buffing.
I am not real sure what type of wood is the original, but I think for the time being I plan on making it out of white oak for now. If that means redoing it again down the road I will try something else next time. For now though, I think the oak will work.

 
 Here it is disassembled. I will number each piece accordingly. The entire step tapers; wider at the stern and narrower as it gets to the ladder. As each piece is cut it will be numbered to make for easier assembly.

 
All the slats and spacers cut from White Oak. Not sure how that will hold up over the long haul but if I get a few years out of it before replacing the wood with something else, it will have been worth it.
Still have some fine sanding to do around the edges and will round over all the edges. Then I plan on coating it down with a good sealer after staining it to match the deck of the boat. Pretty sweet extra that came on the donor parts boat. Savings:... around $140 bucks online.

Temp mounting of the ladder. Will need to pick up about 10 more stainless steel bolts, nuts, washers to properly mount the ladder and the whole assembly to the new boat. I may find that hardware on the donor as well; it seems everything from the factory was mounted with SS, so I've been plucking as many fasteners as I can from it.

 
 
Bottom Rung step with original stabilizing rod. Still needs a good sanding but for now will do.
 
 
 
One Good Looking Swim Platform Ladder!

No comments:

Post a Comment