Monday, February 2, 2015

Frame #4

About 80% done on Frame #4. I still need to attach the Deck Timber to the lower portion of the Frame. This is done with bolts. Notice my mistake? I didn't cut the floor timbers 100% correctly. This frame actually butts up to the breast hook. So one floor timber should have a cut through the center to receive that member. I plan on running the circular saw up through the timber to get a nice tight fit on both side of the breast hook. This wasn't intentional but I think it may help keep it tight. Of course it may deviate from the plans a little... but I don't think it will sink the boat.
Looking at it today the epoxy has set up great! I couldn't be happier. I think I nailed the mix on Filler to epoxy this time just right. I think the tendency will be to put too little filler to epoxy ratio.
I've watched a few videos on this thus far and the most common quote before doing this is, "ok now the messy part," I kid you not! Get yourself plenty of wax paper anytime you are doing epoxy. I have found that wax paper will protect your projects better than anything. Don't settle for that baking paper... if it doesn't say waxed, don't buy it! My only source for waxed paper was paper that was only about 14 inches wide, but if I need wider I can tape it together. I presume nothing could be worse than building a frame only to have it permanently affixed to a table.

No comments:

Post a Comment