Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Steering Mechanicals

Donor boat yields another part!
 
I had hoped that the entire Steering system would be reusable on this boat. However, I found that the steering cable was completely locked up. I researched the interwebs and found that it was just plain easier to replace the cable system, as they do tend to go out eventually.
 
Replacing the cable is find but how about the other parts? I opted to remove the under dash portion when I was removing the gauges anyway. I was only a matter of removing the two bolts at the bottom of this picture that release the cable stay barrel, and then four bolts that retain the steering gear housing. That released the internal box gear set and the steering cable came right out. Not sure if I will reuse the plastic housing that runs through the dash to the steering wheel but I will keep it just in case I cannot fabricate anything to serve the purpose.
 
I plan on building wheel versus reusing that plastic wheel that came on this boat. That thing was hideous! Looking more into doing a wooden three spoke wheel.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment